Friday, March 30, 2007

Physiotherapy

I had physiotherapy on Tuesday. I went though a period of time when I was a teenager when I refused to do physiotherapy. One of the surgeons who I saw at the Royal Children’s Hospital told me and my parents (when I was 12 and at a rebellious point in my life anyway) that no matter what I tried to do I would only be able to sit in a wheelchair for the rest of my life anyway. So I began to question why I was doing physiotherapy. At the next session I had I asked my physiotherapist what the point of each of the exercises I was supposed to do was. She refused to tell me (I wonder if she even knew? ) and I refused to do them.

I’m a stubborn person so it took me a number of years to realise that the physiotherapy was going to benefit me and despite the opinion of the surgeon I wasn’t totally useless. So last year I began physiotherapy again but then in June I became a medical mystery. I was (and still am) suffering from the following symptoms:

Entire body extremely swollen
• Burning sensation throughout body at times
• Lumps on back of legs & wrist at times
• Cough at times
• Trouble breathing at times
• Fatigue
• Pain throughout entire body
• Muscle weakness
• Blue fingers & lips at times
• Tingling in hands/feet at times
• Numbness in legs and arms at times
• Unexplainable bruising
Lack of appetite

The latest theory behind all of this is it is all related to the CP. I’m not sure about this because I thought that CP was supposed to be non- progressive? Anyway the problem now is what to do about it all. In Victoria there are no doctors who will treat people with CP if that person is over the age of 18. So for now I wait til someone decides if it is CP related or not.

I was told not to do physiotherapy when I got sick in June because it may have been the cause of my problems. It wasn’t because if anything the problems are worse and I’m weaker. I had an interesting conversation with Kate (my therapist) on Tuesday. I asked her if I would be able to get back to where I was before June (walking with a walker and quite strong). She wouldn’t make me any promises but hopes I can.

The point of this very long post: I’ve finally found a physiotherapist who I trust. Now why can’t I find doctors who will treat me? Do other people have this problem?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, yes I do too. And "it's your CP" is something I hear all the time too. (((hugs)))