Sunday, March 25, 2007

Walking with wheels Post 1

Hi All,
Some of you would have read this before but I thought I would post it again for those of you who haven't. It is a work in progress about my education experiences. It is quite long so I think I'll divide it into several posts.

Walking with Wheels

A guide to providing improved access to the school community for students who have a DisAbility. The guide is designed to inform, students, teachers, parents and other interested parties.
Some quotes that inspire me

"How is it that you and I are here, sharing these words at this exact time and place? It sure isn’t chance. Whatever the answer is, it's divine. Live today as if it calls for cake."
- Julianna Banana

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Acknowledgements

I would like to acknowledge the assistance of Lou Tehan, Cate Whitehead, Cheryl Salmon, Peter Whitehead and Marion Monas in the creation of this book. I would also like to thank Heloz for her help in editing it.

I would also like to acknowledge all the people I haven’t mentioned who have shaped my education experience in some way, whether it be in a positive or a negative way. You know who you are.
Preface

It is a pleasure to be invited to write the Preface to Karen’s story. I believe that Karen’s reflection on her experiences as a student within the school system has provided valuable insights that may well serve to bridge the gaps in existing systems mainly due to oversights and ignorance in the general community .

The information included will hopefully raise our consciousness in regard to the obstacles that exist in school communities and, with simple consideration, are easily addressed. Karen’s story may also imbue the student who is embarking on the education pathway, and her/his family, with more confidence in voicing their needs. It is hoped these voiced needs are met in a supportive and understanding environment that has an increased awareness of the humiliation of being singled out by obstacles within both the physical and social environments of schools and communities in general.

While policies and protocols exist around equal opportunities for people who have a DisAbility, it is easy for complacency to creep in. The existence of policies requires vigilance in order that the rhetoric matches the reality in relation to implementation of policy. It is important to note the generalisations that exist under the policy umbrella and that the “one size fits all” approach will often require some fine tuning. Karen made a pertinent comment when she said ‘All you have to do is ask me’. Karen states that the best way to make things work is for the able bodied person to put their own fears and hesitancy aside and directly communicate with the person about their needs, the obstacles etc., and work out solutions together. Suchan approach de-stigmatises and is non patronising, creating a culture of inclusivity.

I commend “Walking With Wheels” as another vital contribution to bridging our often unintentional human failings in communication and sensitive support due to the whirlwinds of our busy communities.

Ms. Lou Tehan – Creative Arts Therapist

Grampians Community Health.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this and I especially love the quote from Julianna Banana who I haven't checked in on for ages, guess I better do that next! I love the way you write and this reminds me of my plan to do something like this. And don't worry, you're comments about me didn't bother me, they just surprised me! Love and Hugs, Emma